Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Where Did You Fall?

In light of the election, I would have to say that I am generally happy with the results. I refuse to think that there are only two sides to politics. My dream world would be where a 3rd party provides a true alternate to the Democrats and Republicans. I think that Obama, despite many policy differences, is charismatic and a good speaker. I think saying we're going to withdraw from a country in which we are fighting is a poor choice. I think that it would be better to quit posturing and presenting our enemies with a timeline for when they can step up their resistance. "Oh, the Americans are gone on July 1 so on July 2nd, we'll detonate the bombs and kill hundreds of civilians," is what I imagine our enemies saying to each other. And that would really suck. Yet, I understand that we cannot keep fighting a war that doesn't really serve a purpose. There are bad guys there. Yep. There's bad guys in North Korea and in other places around the world. You can't just go country to country and knock out your enemies. You can, but I think it doesn't set the right example. The right example is 'finishing the job' whatever that means, and leaving. What is the job in the war we are fighting? When is it done? Do both parties have to be happy with the result of the job or just one? Is one of the parties going to feel relieved when the other party is out of the equation and back on their side of the world? I don't really know. It's been too long since I've really thought about the job they are doing over there. Seriously, life goes on in my world. It's terrible to say that. I know that there are soldiers doing what I could never, ever, possibly do. I could not survive boot camp. Flat-out, there's no way. And I know they are fighting for me so I don't have to be there. And I still manage to get wrapped up in my world of a new job, learning new things, and today, today of all days, getting a massage at work that the company actually pays for instead of me. And someday, there may come a time where it happens more than once a month. Wouldn't that be a relief? Filing this under busy life.

No comments: