Saturday, November 6, 2010

Techie Note

My co-worker passed this along today. I have 3 PCs on my work desk. First, there is One Laptop, my laptop with my Adobe CS5 (InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver) and MS Office 2010. Next is Desktop Two that runs one of the many software applications I am going to write about. Next is Laptop Three that runs a simulator for the product that is actually controlled by the software that is installed on Desktop Two. I wanted to allow these three PCs to talk to each other because, essentially, I will be using a screen capture utility on PC Two but inserting them into the InDesign file on my One Laptop.

All that to set up this blurb from Wikipedia:

How to enable in Windows Vista and Windows 7

By default, Windows Vista and newer versions of Windows prevent local accounts from accessing administrative shares through the network.

To enable administrative shares you have to make a registry change. Click on Start Menu and in the search box type ‘regedit’ and press ENTER. Add this registry item:

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Name: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1

After rebooting, the hidden share is accessible from other computers.

This is my statement that the above method worked for me!

I don't miss working with InDesign at that hellhole in southern Iowa.

No comments: