Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Twofer

Alex's drum teacher asked if Alex could come back tonight for a second lesson this week so I got to play the electronic set again tonight. I wailed on one of the songs. I really wish there was a 'business' reason to pull that set home, but I'm not actively playing in a band, not actually looking into playing in a band, and don't really forsee myself being able to justify the added monthly payment such an investment would require. I'll keep my mind open to new opportunities and perhaps a zillion and one dollars will land in my lap. Until that day, I'll keep playing that set at West Music and enjoying the 1/2 hour I get to be with it. It felt really good tonight. I felt like I began to stretch beyond what I would normally play because I allowed the pre-programmed drum part to be played and I played along with that, mimicing it at times and just doing my own thing during other parts. I really wish I could get rid of this terrible habit of playing RLRR LRLL with my feet. I know I practiced paradiddles with my feet, tough to do by the way, but now when I want rumbling RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL under a bar of 4/4, I end up with RLRR LRLL. It sounds weird. Maybe that's what I'll be known for someday.

No comments: