Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Journey through the Future to get to the Past

Years and years ago, I liked to waste a lot of time playing a game called Wolfenstein 3D. I wouldn't play every night, but I played often enough to kind of possibly understand the way to play the game. Tonight, on a whim, I found a version of Wolfenstein that I can now play on the kids' Windows 7 laptop. Without looking at the maps that are freely available or struggling, I was able to clear the first level. The par for the first level is 1:30 and I cleared it in 3:00-ish. I never made par when I played more frequently. What is really amazing, to me, is that I probably haven't played the game in at least 5 years. What is also really sad, to me, is that I retained the pattern to go through the level in my brain. I really had not given this game a thought in all those years since the last time I played it. The end result of this is two-fold. First, I have a favorite game of mine on the kids' laptop and, when it is the only PC available to me, I can now play it. Second, the contract work I have done for the last nearly 6 months has come to an end. Could it be, I don't know, FREE TIME?!?! Not likely. Alex started baseball season yesterday and has practice on Mondays and Thursdays. On Tuesday, he has drum lessons and Megan has driver's ed class. Wednesday is religious ed, and Thursday is baseball practice and Megan has driver's ed. On Friday, we are going to Cedar Falls to check out the HooDads from 6-9.

No comments: