Wednesday, November 28, 2012

13 days to go...

Sonia, my co-worker, is on vacation in India until 12/11 and will be back in the office on 12/12, which is 13 days from now. I like working with Sonia. She grounds me in reality as far as what needs to be done. I think she likes working with me because I have a distinct way of stating the opposite of what she says in a way that makes sense. I feel compelled, often, to talk about "who owns the issue?" I believe, and have read, the Garbage Truck Pledge, which asserts that we should own our problems, but not the problems of others. I really try to live that way.Thus, when an issue arises, I ask, "Who owns the issue?" If it is an issue we (Sonia & I) own, fantastic, let's resolve it. If it is an issue we do not own, then I cannot enforce the way 'it should be' upon them. For example, we tell people that an updated PDF is available and it is up to them to upload it to the website. What happens if they don't upload it? Customers may not see the latest version of the documentation. It's my role to tell the "people" that the updated version of the document is ready for them to upload, but it is NOT my role to badger them and hound them until they do it. That's the type of example I am thinking about.

In other work-related news, I am working on an audit of all of our help files and whether the help text accurately describes the functionality. It's fun.

No comments: