Friday, April 24, 2015

Just What Wasn't Needed

I'll defend Metallica, Lars Ulrich, and the other 3 members until the day I die. That said, legions of Metallica fans seem to be peeved. Go to any website that has an article about Metallica and, in the comments, you'll read the following as standard criticisms of the band:
  1. Lars Ulrich is the worst drummer in the world
  2. They haven't wrote a good tune since "And Justice for All"
  3. They worked with Bob Rock on the "Black" album and that ruined them.
  4. They released "Load" and "ReLoad" as two separate releases instead of combining them into a single release.
  5. "St. Anger" is a terrible release because the drums sound awful and there's no guitar solos
In the last few months, I'm seeing more and more negativity about Metallica because:
  1. Kirk Hammett lost 250 guitar riffs - why wouldn't he be smart enough to back up his phone?
  2. Metallica members talk about how they're working on the new tunes but then schedule tour dates. 
  3. #2 ties in with complaints about the span between "Death Magnetic" and the followup. They really aren't concerned about releasing a followup because they don't need to - they're filthy rich and don't care about the fans. 
  4. The "Through the Never" performances were good but the rest of the movie sucked.
Today comes the revelation from despised-by-many fans producer Bob Rock that Hetfield asked how to sing like Chris Isaak. Beyond the sensationalized headline, Rock told "Talk is Jericho" that "He said, ‘Bob, I’ve never really sung before – I’ve just kind of yelled.’ He played me a Chris Isaak record and said, ‘On Nothing Else Matters and The Unforgiven, I want to sing. How do you sing like this?’”

Without seeing it yet, I can sense that comment boards around the world are demonizing that Hetfield actually wanted to sing. I think it is only a matter of time before comments like "Chris Isaak is not metal and because Hetfield wanted to sing like him, Hetfield is no longer metal - he's just a rich rock star." As I said, I haven't seen that comment yet, but I feel it coming to a comment board soon. If Hetfield wants to be inspired by Chris Isaak, why is that so awful?

No comments: