Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Things Work Out

As a follow-up to Monday's post regarding the vehicle incident at Megan's school, Karen & I stopped and paid the estimated cost on our way home - $360 - and then, ironically, there was a $400ish medical reimbursement check in our mailbox. It's really funny how God finds a way to provide.

In other news, almost every media outlet, or so it seems, has posted the story about Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett losing his cell phone. At first, I thought it was a stupid thing to report, especially since it happened 6 months ago, per this article. I mean, really, just how many people lose their cell phone in a single day? Why it was deemed newsworthy is because, on that cell phone, there are ~250 guitar riffs. Some versions of the story add in the comment that if you do not back up your phone / media on a regular basis, you should do so now, even if you don't have ~250 guitar riffs. I like the little nudge because if I had been backing up my music on a regular basis prior to the external hard drive dying in fall of 2013, I wouldn't have had to reconvert my music.

Speaking of music, there's been some developments in both my music collection as well as possibly playing drums in a band. For my music collection, two friends let me borrow some of their music. The page that tracks how many music files I have will have the final number on April 30th. My goal is to be able to weed out the duplicates by then. As far as playing drums, no news regarding the band from Sunday. However, last night, there was an Iowa City Craigslist post from a band needing a drummer.

Local Rock band with current bookings is looking for a drummer to complete the lineup. The music is rock-based, with old and new R&B. A working knowledge of funk & Reggae would nice too.

I responded by emailing a link to the page on this blog with my drum videos. If I don't find a way to routinely work on keeping my chops at a decent level, I won't be ready for either opportunity. While playing drums at Mass each week is a small step, I fully understand that barely over 1 hour a week is not preparing me for either opportunity.

No comments: