Wednesday, January 24, 2018

What is the Debt?

Of Mice and Men put out this cover of Pink Floyd's "Money" tune. The significance is that it is in 7/4 time, so each quarter note gets one beat and it is counted: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7. When I was preparing to audition with a band that had included this tune on its playlist, I counted it as: 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 | 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 | etc, because the 5 6 7 is what drummers might play in a waltz (usually in 3/4 time) where the bass drum is on 1 and the snare is on 2 3, which is also the pattern played by the Pink Floyd drummer (I believe it was Nick Mason on the "Dark Side of the Moon" release) and how I learned to count it years upon years ago when I was much younger.



And the original to use as a comparison...



I have always enjoyed this tune. It is a nice introduction to playing odd time, which is explored in this video:





No comments: