Friday, January 12, 2018

What To Do When Someone Critiques You

Had kind of an odd experience on Wednesday of this week.

There was an ad on the Craigslist > Cedar Rapids > Craigslist page for a "Rock Pop and Blues band seeking drummer" so I responded around 12:32 PM with text that I've used to respond to other ads on Craigslist but instead of having to search for the last email I sent with it, I now store it in a .txt file on my external hard drive. It explains who I am, what I'm looking for in a band, what equipment I have, who is in my family, details about my faith life, and some other things.

Around 2:12 PM, I received a response that said this:

|
Thanks for replying to my ad. I reviewed your videos and read the info that you shared about yourself. You sound like a wonderful person. And you certainly have the chops to play in a band. However I don't think that your style of drumming is what I'm looking for. I really do appreciate your email. And I wish you luck in finding your band. Take care my friend.
|
Now, I'm not saying I am a good fit for this person's band. I don't know what they sound like, what is on their setlist or anything. All I knew is that they wanted a different drummer to play "Rock Pop and Blues" in their band that averages 2 gigs a month. In my defense, I have videos covering each of the genres - rock pop and blues - on my "Videos of Me Playing Drums" page. I have experience in all three genres. Additionally, I have all the tunes I've played in Lou's Classic Ride & Uncle Rico the Band listed on that same page and those tunes include those genres - there can be no doubt I can play those genres.

So that led my brain to the letdown section where the person wrote I don't think your style of drumming is what I'm looking for and as I tried to define what that meant in relation to my playing, I was confused. I replied back at 2:22 PM with a simple sentence: Can you be more specific as to what you are looking for? because, as I said, I believe my drum videos demonstrate I can play the genres so what is it that I'm missing? Am I too flashy?

I just read the What To Do When Someone Says Your Drumming Sucks! Jared Falk - January 18th, 2017 article.

No comments: