Tuesday, October 16, 2018

4000 CDs for $.50 each is still a LOT OF MONEY!?!?

I have 50 spindles of 100 CDs each. I'm not going to pay $4000 to purchase another 4000 more. I get what the guy is trying to achieve. The seller has obviously worked hard to create their collection and now that it has come time to sell it, the seller wants to be reimbursed for the work that has been done. Frankly, though, if I had that seller's collection, I would probably accept $.50 / CD because, if there are $4000 CDs, that's still $2000. If I sold my 5000 CDs for $.50 / CD, I'd make $2500.



Very much related to owning an extensive CD collection, last weekend, I started re-ripping the 51st spindle. I did that because I have multiple "data" CDs with multiple albums on each. A "data" CD is different from a "music" CD in that I can play a "music" CD on a stereo CD player whereas a "data" CD doesn't play on a stereo. However, in a CD drive on a laptop or PC, you can access files on the "data" CD. When I copied files from the data CDs on Spindle 51, I didn't create a sub-folder for each data CD. Instead, I put all the folders at the root. It looks like what you see in this screenshot to the right of this text. The reason I don't like that is I cannot tell, just by looking at those folders, which data CD the album came from v. if the album came from a music CD, which also exist on the 51st spindle.

I do like complications it would seem!
That is why I am re-ripping the CDs on the 51st spindle. After that spindle is complete, I am going to have several more spindles to rip. If pressed to guess, I'd guess 500 more CDs. It's going to be a nice winter season project which I hope to kick into overdrive during the next few weeks.

As far as if I would sell my CD collection, I say no. I have the crazy idea that my spindles can be given away at my wake and/or funeral. I just hope there are at least 56 people that come to my wake and/or funeral!

No comments: