Thursday, March 28, 2019

Tapping into The Music of Our Lives

What music I will be listening to when I am 80?

As you're about to read, I believe that my 80 year-old father-in-law has a "limited arena of acceptable genres" when it comes to music. It made me wonder if my future son-in-law will describe me as having a "limited arena of acceptable genres" when I am 80. 

All of that speculation due to this email:

From: UIowa Neuropsychology
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 3:58 PM
Subject: [Research] Healthy 80+ Year-Old Men Invited for Music Research

Researchers in the Neurology Department at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics are recruiting healthy older men in a study of music's influence on emotions. We would like to know how healthy men respond to a music listening task, compared to men with Alzheimer's disease.

If you are interested and meet the following descriptions, please call us at 319-NPA-NXX or email us at Firstname-Lastname@uiowa.edu for more information:

-Free of neurological and major psychiatric conditions
-Men age 80 and older
-High school OR bachelor's education

The study will take place in the Neurology Department at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. We will provide compensation. Thanks for your interest!

So I wrote back:

I suspect that since father-in-law was diagnosed with Parkinson’s earlier this year, that means he is no longer considered “Free of neurological and major psychiatric conditions”?

Would have been interesting to see how he would do in the study. While he loves music, he has a limited arena of acceptable genres: polkas, waltzes, or Big Band. Because, you know, (his words, not mine) “Elvis was the start of the decline of our culture - all those girls screaming for no reason!"

His favorite musician is Lawrence Welk and yes, despite owning a DVR and being able to watch LW whenever he wants, he doesn’t. He would first have to learn how to use the DVR!

Have a great Thursday!

I can imagine myself only listening to Bayside, Metallica, and Count the Stars (just listened to them for the first time this year yesterday) because everything else is sh!t.

No comments: