Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Need the IB so I Can Buy This Part II

Potential Ideal Bands that have been on my radar the last few weeks:
  1. The first is the band in the Craigslist ad below. It is too much of a commitment for me to pledge my availability to a band that says, right out of the gate, Must be able to practice 2-3 times per month and available to gig up to 4 times per month in and around Cedar Rapids area. While I adore the setlist that they have and would surely enjoy playing in a band with those tunes on the setlist, I think it's just not going to happen. This is the text of their ad on Craigslist that was posted 14 days ago:
  2. A second band sent me their setlist and I liked what they had put on it. The tunes include some staples I've played before - "What I Like About You" and "Three Steps" - but also some tunes I've not played before, such as "The Breeze" by Lynard Skynard. However, the bassist & guitarist are near retirement age and want to use the band as, more or less, a part-time job. They want to play up to 3 weekends a month. While I don't know if they are "good enough" (because I haven't heard them play) to get gigs that often, it's on a different level than I am on, so we respectfully parted ways prior to me auditioning.
  3. The third potential project is the one about which I actually think has the most potential. A guy I've known for a very long time began learning to play guitar a few years ago and when I saw him at Hy-Vee a few weeks back, he mentioned that he was playing with some guys and needed a drummer. There was supposed to be a first rehearsal on 2/24, but that didn't happen. I actually don't know for certain how my schedule & their schedule will match up as they seem to favor rehearsing on Sunday afternoons, which is unlikely to fit in my schedule for the foreseeable future, sadly. Maybe something will come out of this situation.
  4. This group is looking for a new drummer, but they are located in Anamosa, which is north of Cedar Rapids - a bit too far. For example, they are playing on Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 6 PM – 9 PM CDT in Anamosa. Here is the text of their Craigslist ad:
    The Boyscout Hippies have played over 100 shows over the last year together with a few different lineups. We are in search of a permanent drummer for the band.

    Check out our Facebook page here: https://m.facebook.com/RonLaFleurband/

    Check out our videos here :
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0-iBeVWRU6bhlv6G3dw2LWRkRHik0mAz

  5. I read this ad for a project in the Cedar Falls / Waterloo area, but it seems a little intense for me... plus he insinuates that Lars Ulrich is not creative -- I'll agree to disagree and hold my tongue...
    |
    I'm an experienced guitarist recently relocated from Nashville, TN. I was highly active gigging with acts doing everything from soft singer/songwriter stuff to very heavy metal.

    I'm seeking an experienced, technically skilled drummer with working knowledge of rhythm, including being able to read sheet music.

    I'm looking to form a metal/hardcore/prog project with other musicians willing to explore.

    I don't want to play covers.
    I don't want to sound like any other specific band
    I don't want to "Jam"

    I want to write new material and build a repertoire of original music.

    BEFORE RESPONDING -
    - Be ready to practice, alone and together, a lot
    - Be ready to get creative; I don't want Lars Ulrich in the band
    - Be prepared to bring every bit of spare energy you have to this

    I'm a laid back guy about 99% of things. This is the 1% of my life that I'm intense and serious about.

    If you're serious too,
    GET AT ME
    Serious replies only
    |

No comments: