Friday, October 18, 2019

Get The Same Great Service Closer To Home


I noticed the following about an email I received yesterday:
  1. The subject of the email is displayed in both the email preview and the actual email (green arrow). 
  2. The "Get The Same Great Service Closer To Home" text in the red box in the email preview does not display in the actual email (red arrow)
  3. The "This message contains graphics. If you do not see the graphics, click here to" is displayed in both the email preview and the actual email (purple arrow)
Why? Was that an actual choice the person (or more likely, the machine) that created the email made? Is there some algorithm that determines whether to display the "Get The Same Great Service Closer To Home" text in the actual email? I'm thinking of pseudo code like:
If 
Customer Zip Code is (a list of zip codes in the Iowa City area, including 52317, 
Then 
do not display the "Get The Same Great Service Closer To Home" text in the email body
Else
do display the "Get The Same Great Service Closer To Home" text in the email body

I have realized that when I think about design choices that someone else made or that I'm trying to make at work, it's a rabbit hole and, when I realize that's where I am, I need to jump out of the rabbit hole before I get too deep.

No comments: