Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Quick to Judge

Last night, the final Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker trailer was released.


On cue, there was a video in my feed that explained to me Why Star Wars Rise of Skywalker will fail to win audiences back over.

Does the author of the following video make a case for his thesis? Yes, I actually think so. The expectations for this movie are enormous. There are a lot of objectives that need to come together in order to tie up a lot of loose ends that were untied during the previous 8 films in the franchise. The author is correct in saying that long-term fans (me! me!) that remember (vaguely) seeing Episode IV in the movie theater during its initial theater run want a movie that shows us all of our favorite characters. Short-term fans that remember (vaguely) their parents taking them to see Episode I (that would be Alex and Megan) want an action movie that isn't bogged down on the past. Casual fans want a movie that doesn't require seeing 8 previous movies though, frankly, the Star Wars franchise is not like The Fast and the Furious franchise in that Star Wars has been integrated into mainstream culture to a greater degree - I've never seen a single "The Fast and the Furious" movie.





No comments: