Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Am I Missing the Boat

This will start out seeming to be irrelevant, but I do have a point.

In my life, I've encountered situations where I was, for the lack of a better phrase, late to the party. This has happened numerous times in both my personal and professional life.

Personally, the best example I can point to is music. I relate to the discussion between Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson in the White Men Can't Jump movie, which I believe is a very funny movie with adult words.

So that's your warning!



Private Life Example

My example in my own life is that when I initially listened to Alice in Chains, Anthrax, Slayer, and Megadeth, I listened to those bands, but I couldn't hear these bands. These bands went on the Clash of the Titans tour in summer 1991 and actually played in Cedar Rapids. Because I couldn't hear these bands until after summer 1991, I didn't go see Alice in Chains, Anthrax, Slayer, and Megadeth in concert.

I regret that.

You have NO IDEA how much I regret that decision to not going to that concert. In the grand scheme things of my life, no, it's not a big deal, but I admit that I have thought about it occasionally.

Professional Life Example

In my professional life, one example of being late to the party would be my willingness to learn HTML and CSS. In the early 2000s, I was aware of HTML-based Help (files with the CHM file extension), but I wasn't interested in converting from my help system with 100 WinHelp (files with the HLP file extension) to HTML-based Help (files with the CHM file extension). My argument was that WinHelp files were working fine so there was no reason to convert to HTML. Eventually, yes, Microsoft declared that WinHelp files were no longer going to be supported. That was the push I needed to do the work of converting those 100 WinHelp files to HTML.

Where I am Today

All of this came up because I've been seeing videos by a band called Dance Gavin Dance. I have not taken a deep dive into their material. I think I should so that I am not
  • left holding the same regret I have about not attending the Alice in Chains, Anthrax, Slayer, and Megadeth in concert in summer of 1991
  • or
  • left clinging to the past while the future beckons me forward
Thus, here are some Dance Gavin Dance tunes to hear in my near future.







No comments: