Friday, October 1, 2021

Adobe Issue

 On my work laptop, I seem to be having an issue with Adobe IDs. I have one Adobe ID for RoboHelp and a separate Adobe ID for Adobe Creative Cloud. It appears that I can't use two distinct Adobe IDs on the same laptop, even though I have been doing so for quite some time. I think the main difference is that I didn't have a newer version of RoboHelp installed on my laptop until recently. In any case, one of my pet peeves, when it comes to laptops and the user interface, is when I see a message that is incorrect. Case in point, I don't have Photoshop open - I have Dreamweaver open - and the message I see tells me to close Photoshop. I often try to put myself in the role of a user who is not as ... 

I consider myself a dangerous user when I use a laptop or computer. I can trace using a computer back several decades when a family friend, who worked for [redacted] let us use a computer at our house. It had two 5 1/4" floppy drives - that's how long ago I can trace back my computer usage. Later, there was a computer with a 3.5" disk drive in the house. 

My point is that someone who does not have as long of a history with computers could likely become very confused when seeing a message to close a program that is not open to resolve an issue. I recognize the message as a specific message being used in the incorrect circumstance. Obviously, the message should say Close this window to quit Dreamweaver instead of Close this window to quit Photoshop because I do not have Photoshop open. 

Actually, a better message would be Close this window to quit the Creative Cloud app that you were using when this message displayed - even if it is wordy.



No comments: