Thursday, October 28, 2021

Drumming

I must do something.

All of the following words in this post are based upon the requirement that I need to prepare for the future event of not having my son's Yamaha DTX500 set in the den. I need to do something. As with most purchases, there is a typically a choice: buy new or buy used. I will go through each of these options below. It is unacceptable to not be able to practice drums.

Currently, I am considering the Yamaha DTX950K ("Used Drums") that are for sale on the Craigslist > Iowa City > Musical Instruments for Sale page. This same ad is also available through Facebook Marketplace but it has a $2200 price on Facebook Marketplace. I have also looked at the most current model of Yamaha electronic drums - the Yamaha DTX10K-X ("New Drums") - and have that on my mind as well. When my son takes his Yamaha DTX500 to where he lives (currently, in West Des Moines), I will no longer have any drums easily available for practicing. As a result, I would set up my acoustic Ludwig Vistalite set that I have stacked under the basement steps and not be able to practice when someone else is home, which reminds me of when I lived in my parents' house, prior to marrying Karen.

Here is my brain in words as I process this decision. There is no final decision as of right now so this is just a list without a conclusion.

  1. Without a doubt, if I were to buy the Used Drums, I will have solved the future event upon which all of this post is addressing. It is the simplest & cheapest solution.
  2. The Used Drums are an upgrade to my son's Yamaha DTX500 set. There is a scenario where he would decide to attempt to "sell" the drums "Santa" brought to him for Christmas, but I will not agree to buying my son's Yamaha DTX500 set. Santa doesn't pay for things twice.
  3. The Used Drums have a cool feature that I really like, which are knobs on the drums. These knobs would allow me to change the tone of the drum sound on the fly, a feature not available on my son's Yamaha DTX500 set.
  4. The Used Drums include a double bass drum pedal. I have flirted with playing double bass since playing with Assume in the summer of 1989. With two acoustic bass drums, I don't like playing double bass, but with a double bass drum pedal, I think I would like to play more double bass.
  5. The Used Drums ad referenced the following video, which I have watched multiple times:
  6. The idea of buying the most recent electronic drums from Yamaha is a possibility. This would mean purchasing a Yamaha DTX-10K-X ("New Drums") model. I found these drums online for the price of $5169.00, which is definitely more than $2200. More on the financial aspect of what I am pondering is coming up in this list.

  7. I authentically do not care for neither the appearance of the New Drums.
  8. Financially, it makes sense to purchase the Used Drums.
    • The current / most recent Yamaha electronic drums can cost between the list price of $6853 and $5169. For the following calculations, assume that the cost is $6000 because the $5169 price above probably does not include shipping & tax.
    • The Yamaha DTX-950K has a price of $2200.
      • New drums price - Used drums price
        • $6000 - 2200 =  $3800
    • There has been some extra income in recent months:
      • On December 25, 2020, I received $100 from Lou & Jean.
      • In the month of June (or July), I received $100 from my father.
      • On October 11, I received a $200 payment for Megan's saxophone that we sold to Brian Rock.
      • On October 23, I received a $1300 payment for the Jayco Jay Feather camper that Karen and I sold to my nephew.
      • While I won't include the actual dollar amount, one of my kids owes money to us. Let's just say it's $500.
    • Doing the simple math: 
      • Yamaha DTX 950K calculation:
        • Extra Income is $2200
        • Price of used drums is $2200
          • Extra Income - Price of Drums
          •    $2200
          • - $2200
          •   $0000 
      • Yamaha DTX 10K calculation:
        • Extra income is $2200
        • Price of new drums is $6000
          • Extra income - Price of Drums
          •   $2200
          • - $6000
          •   -$3800
    • The used drums have a net cost of $0; the new drums have a net cost of $3800.
      • To be fair, the camper that we sold to Danny had a cost of $6000 so yes, I could use the entire extra income from the sale of the camper to cover the cost of the new drums. However, I remain convinced that would be a tough call to make. 

Yamaha DTX 950K drum set - $2,700 (Iowa City)

condition: like new

make / manufacturer: Yamaha

Top of the line Yamaha electronic drum set.
I bought this set new about 10 years ago. The set looks and plays like it just came out of the box. The set has never left my house. One of the great features is being able to play anytime. I have used headphones and played while others are sleeping in the house. Youtube has an overview of the DTX950K by full compass that does a good job of showing the set and some of the features. This set was $6000 new. The set did not include a bass pedal. I bought a Yamaha double bass pedal and will include it with the set.

posted:

updated:


No comments: