Friday, August 19, 2022

The Essence of What I Want to Do

While I am not qualified for the job below - I am not a programmer - I love the first 8 words in the line below.
Developing software to automate the manual work required to keep a SaaS offering highly available, scalable, and resilient to the vagaries of the Internet and frequent deploys.

It is the the requirement that I love to see and, truly, even though I do not consider myself a programmer, I do see value in using snippets, variables, DOS batch files, and Word macros as a means to automate manual work. That is the motivation behind writing and updating my Single Source Rant page. I want to un-complicate all aspects of the work I do with Disaster Recovery Documentation and Knowledge Management documentation - work smarter, not harder. It's why being MRDR [(Mister Disaster Recovery Documentation tm)] is who I am after 2334 days (6 years, 4 months, 3 weeks) in my current role. If my life goes according to my plan, I have worked 0.3195071868583162 or, rounded to the nearest 10th, 31.9 % of the 20 years I want to work here. Just to state it again, my plan is to work until Friday, March 28, 2036. I will be 66 years, 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days old on that day and, according to my plan, I will work 115 days (3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days) past my 65th birthday in order to reach 20 years here. That's my plan anyways. 

All that aside, this is the awesome job that I won't apply for.


Site Reliability Engineer (MasteryConnect)

US-Remote /
Engineering /
Full-time
At Instructure, we believe in the power of people to grow and succeed throughout their lives. Our goal is to amplify that power by creating intuitive products that simplify learning and personal development, facilitate meaningful relationships, and inspire people to go further in their educations and careers. We do this by giving smart, creative, passionate people opportunities to create awesome products and tools.

By focusing on our values — ownership, openness, simplicity, equality, and relationships — and using a modern stack that includes AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Vault, Terraform, Ruby, and Go, we are pushing the boundaries of managing services at scale.

What you will be doing:

    • Partnering with engineering teams to automate & optimize service availability, scalability, performance, monitoring, and alerting.
    • Educating & empowering software engineers to think operationally when designing services and operate what they build.
    • Writing code to simplify DevOps tasks and allow engineers to deploy and debug their own code in production.
    • Developing software to automate the manual work required to keep a SaaS offering highly available, scalable, and resilient to the vagaries of the Internet and frequent deploys.
    • Creating and maintaining methodologies of iteratively deploying Instructure’s cloud-based architecture.
    • Building resilient and self-scaling systems so that you and the team can sleep through the night.

What we look for:

    • A desire for ownership and love for problem-solving.
    • Experience with Amazon Web Services.
    • Programming experience in at least one modern programming language (for example, Ruby, Go, Python, or Node.
    • Experience with Containers; Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
    • Understanding of configuration management, automation, and infrastructure-as-code tools (for example, Ansible, Terraform, Salt, or Puppet).Code pipelines exposure - Git, Jenkins, Harness, etc.
    • Open, team-oriented, with a strong desire to learn.

Get in on all the awesome of Instructure:

    • Competitive salary, equity and 401k. 
    • Medical, dental, disability, and life insurance. 
    • HSA program, vision, voluntary life, and AD&D. 
    • Tuition reimbursement.
    • Paid time off, 10 paid holidays, and flexible work schedules. 
    • Gym club reimbursements and rewards-based fitness tracking.
We’ve always believed in hiring the most awesome people and treating them right. We know that the more diverse we are, the more diverse our ideas will be and when we openly welcome those ideas, our environment is better and our business is stronger..

 At Instructure we participate in E-Verify and yes, in case you didn't catch it from the above, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer.

All Instructure employees are required to successfully pass a background check upon being hired.

No comments: