Monday, December 17, 2012

Change Focus


I don't mean to make light of the situation in CT - there are 20 kids *KIDS* who are dead, thanks to someone who went into the school and shot those kids. They are just starting to have the funerals for these kids who all had so much ahead of them.

Now, personally, I don't feel the need to have a gun. I don't feel like I need to carry it around with me when I go to the mall or to church or to the grocery store. That's me. I know others want to carry one and are trained to do so.

The big debate will be whether teachers should be trained in how to shoot a gun. Whether they should have a gun in a locked closet in their classroom. Whether that would have saved those 20 kids. We are just now starting to hear about the heroics of the teachers. I don't mean to make one teacher above any other teacher when I single out what I heard about the principal. The principal of the school confronted the gunman and was shot. There was a teacher who hid students in a closet and told the gunman the kids were in the gym. The gunman shot the teacher, but those kids that she protected were survivors of this ordeal.

I won't pretend to know the answers. I won't pretend that anything I say or do now will bring those kids and teachers back. I agree that there needs to be something done. We can't live like this. Every day there are all these terrible things happening in our world. Some blame violence in movies and video games.

No comments: