Monday, December 17, 2012

G-n-R Revisited

I really wish I could remember more of the G-n-R concert in Iowa City. I remember bits and pieces.

I remember Brian May opened (this was after Freddie Mercury's death) and had Cozy Powell playing drums. I remember thinking Powell was a much more interesting drummer than Matt Sorum. I also remember there was a banner someone had made that said "May is God" and not really liking that - I believe God has not come back to earth as a human. I recognize Brian May as a talented guitarist - I get it - but I also just fundamentally reject the idea that man is worthy of being worshiped like a God.

As for the G-n-R portion, I do not remember any songs they played except they played "Patience" while sitting on a couch they had brought up from backstage. I don't remember if they were late getting on stage.

I went to this concert with members of Old Stew - James, Stoff, and Shoebox. We walked from Carver Hawkeye Arena, where the concert was held, to the Mill in downtown Iowa City. I was at the Mill last Monday, 12/10/12. It made me think about how far I had walked. I was in disbelief. It seemed to be a short walk back in 1993-ish, but in 2012, wow, it was a long ways!
http://www.hennemusic.com/2012/12/axl-rose-talks-about-guns-n-roses.html

No comments: