Saturday, March 26, 2016

Brace Yourself

Despite a bazillion "pro-Republican" or "pro-Conservative" posts on this blog, I am not smirking when I write, "I want to see and understand both sides of the political spectrum."

I was reminded of this when I went to this article - dailysignal.com/2016/03/23/in-five-charts-how-obamacare-has-worked-past-six-years - as I was fully expecting an anti-Obamacare article and that this post, which I had started prior to actually reading the article, would be a pro-Republican or pro-Conservative post.

As I began to read the article, my expectations were initially fulfilled. The charts in the article are compelling. As per my normal modus operandi, I read the comments at the bottom of each article I link to on this blog. Again, as expected, a lot of the commenters posted their opinion to support the article's thesis: Obamacare is bad.

However....

When I finished reading John Kominitsky's comment, I paused.

I pondered the words.

I thought some more.

Then I realized this portion of the comment coincides with my opinion. I have changed the formatting of the comment and snipped after the first sentence of the ordered list in an effort to make the points more concise.

Here's three really important things . . .

  1. One can gain health care access with a pre-existing condition.
  2. Your insurer cannot toss you onto the street by cancelling your plan if you develop a chronic disease.
  3. Your insurer cannot impose a life time cap on your coverage.
Does a rational person not think these three ACA benefits should not be more costly and unneeded. If yes, consider yourself a fortunate and privileged American. Alternatively, those that view these security benefits as a liberating gift, feel free to dance in the street.


While I wish this sentence:

Does a rational person not think these three ACA benefits should not be more costly and unneeded.

had been edited when he wrote it to this sentence:

Does a rational person not think these three ACA benefits should not be more costly and unneeded.

that's more personal preference than being "wrong" or "incorrect." I personally don't like the double negative construction (and when I start my NEW JOB on MONDAY, I hereby promise myself to never write sentences like that!)

I don't believe those three things are bad or are evil.

Sorry.

In other related news, I read many comments under this picture that I came across on the "Occupy Democrats" Facebook page that were less intellectual or grounded in reality than Kominitsky's comment. That simply means that sometimes I agree with the Democrats / Liberal point of view and other times, I don't.


1 comment:

Matthew Helmke said...

I agree with you more frequently than we disagree. I was an independent until Bernie and will probably be an independent again after. Neither party does a good job of representing real people and listening to all sides before making any decision is a sign of maturity.