Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Spewing Soapbox Sense

I left the following comment on this article:

Always learning is a good theme.

Any newbie TWer reading this article needs to understand that you cannot be a one trick pony. I have worked as a technical writer since 2/10/1995. I have worked at multiple companies. It is always important to identify what needs your employer has and how your specific strengths and skills align with your needs.

For example, I worked at a company where a co-worker was responsible for UI design of a Windows interface that "laid on top" of a text screen. I learned how to do that, as his backup and then, when he left the company, I took ownership of it. That's just one small example of adapting to the needs of my employer.

All of that said, I begin a new job on 3/28 in a department that has never had a TWer. My first task is to write a Disaster Recovery Manual. It is an exciting and new opportunity to expand my knowledge.

No comments: