Wednesday, March 23, 2016

When Silence is Better

What the following illustrates is how structured my private writing has become as a result of being a technical writer for 20+ years. I have 4 notebooks that I am writing in for my private writing and, as of 1:00 PM, I'm unable to write in any of them. Here's why:
  1. In my private journal - part of the 10 year journal project series - for the month of March, I'm on page 72 of 78. I've scheduled myself to write
    1. 72, 73, & 74 tomorrow
    2. 75, 76, & 77 Friday
    3. 78 Friday (this will be the single page Epilogue that ends each section)
  2. In my laid off journal - a separate 150 page spiral notebook that I began on the day after I was laid off and in which I only write on the front of the sheet of paper, not the back - I've scheduled myself to write
    1. 118 tomorrow
    2. 119 Friday
    3. 119.5 (this will be the only time I write on the back of a page in this notebook so that I have a single page Epilogue)
    4. 120 - 126 Monday - First day of new job
    5. 127 - 131 Tuesday
    6. 132 - 137 Wednesday
    7. 138 - 143 Thursday
    8. 144 - 150 Friday - 5th day of new job
  3. In my summary volume - a separate notebook I use to summarize the previous 8 days on a 1/2 sheet of paper  - the next time I will write in it is Friday, 3/25. 
    • This volume has a very specific role in the 10 year project. When it is complete, I will have 
      • a single volume that I can look at and read summaries dated from January 2, 2012 - December ??, 2021. 
      • a multi-page summary after each year on pages I have blocked off so I can write more extensively about the year that just finished.
      • a page:year ratio yearly summary in the final 10 pages of the notebook so I can read single page year summaries from 2012 - 2021
  4. In my private journal - part of the 10 year series - for the month of April, I had previously asked "Future Me" some questions pertaining to work and other subjects to be answered by "Current Me" in April 2016. I have answered those questions and will wait until Friday, April 1, 2016, before continuing that volume. The laid off journal is meant to be a bridge between the March 2016 section and the April 2016 section in the 10 year series as a way to interweave that separate notebook into the mix of the 10 year project.
I wanted to lay all of that out because rather than post my situation on this blog or on my Facebook page - as the author of this article did - when I was laid off on 1/26/2016, I intensified my private writing. Sure, I messaged some friends through messenger and networked that way and then, once Lent started, I decided to not be on Facebook until after Easter, though I admit I bent that "guideline" a bit for various reasons / situations that came up (like to see if a friend had routed any job leads to me).

No comments: