Friday, February 2, 2018

Stupid

I remember one student in particular who, when I think about her, begins with the thought, "Shet was really dumb." I think about Kelly R. whenever someone says "dumb blonde" or tells a blonde joke.

When I encountered Kelly R, it was in the fall of 1991. She was in my 2nd hour Language Arts sophomore class. I remember my lesson was going to be about editing so I found an article with about 10 sentences published in the Sunday Cedar Rapids Gazette. I split the sentences in the story into numbered items and, as I typed them, I added spelling and grammar errors. I was really excited because editing is one of my (many) passions.
The next day, all excited about my lesson, I remember getting through our weekly spelling word list and being about to start the editing lesson. As I begin to explain what we're going to talk about and what the sheet I'm handing to them contains, Kelly R. raises her hand and says, "We did this sheet last year."

Over the last 27 years, I have thought about her sentence many times. Sometimes, I wonder if what she meant was "We [talked about editing] last year" and was trying to tell me that editing was going to be review and, ultimately, boring to her and her fellow classmates. Nonetheless, because I was a shitty student teacher, I plowed on with my lesson.

I write that I was a shitty student teacher because time has taught me something about myself. I let my passion for the things I love interfere with picking up on the reactions of other people. I have learned that about myself so now I don't talk about rock and roll with my father-in-law because he doesn't care about it - Elvis was the downfall of our society after all. I didn't always realize that about him so many times I would try to tell him about the music about which I am passionate about to, basically, someone who didn't care about what I was saying. To circle back to the graphic, I chuckle when I think about Kelly R on that morning, but I also think about what Kelly R. may have been trying to tell me. Maybe her intent was to warn me about myself and send me a message that said "Hey, you need to listen and not let your passion get in the way of our relationship." It was a failure in communication - she sent a message and while I heard her words, I didn't listen to her message. Even now, all these years later, I attempt to listen not just to Metallica or to the NEW Judas Priest tune embedded below, but to every person with whom I have contact. I think what started the revolution in my head was when I went to a weekly Bible Study at church. We were studying the Book of James and, one week, we discussed what has become my second favorite verse in the Bible:
My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry
I realize there are many translations of that verse - as documented on this website - but the above is my favorite version of it. I think about it as a means to 'ground' me in the reality of my surroundings, not the false reality in my head where I can be a proficient drummer by Sunday, February 11, 3 PM, by not practicing drums. Mark, my brother-in-law, razzed me last night as I was sitting on the couch, watching TV. "Why aren't you practicing? You have to have your A game ready!" I will likely find time to practice tomorrow.



No comments: