Friday, March 16, 2018

I Call BS on This!

When I worked at Pearson, I asked the guy who would raise your desk for you to do so. The cubicles were such that there was not a "sit/stand" option. If the guy did this to your desk, you always stood.

I wanted to do this because of the reasons mentioned in the video about sitting for long periods of time. As the renovations were being planned, I inquired about how I liked having a raised desk and asked about having the ability to stand at my desk in my space after the renovations were complete. The answer I received was troubling and contradicts what Pearson was saying when I was there (5/2011 - 1/2016). Unless I had a doctor's excuse which then had to be approved by Pearson, I wasn't going to be able to stand at my desk. In my situation, I took it upon myself to have a raised desk - I haven't been to a doctor in 8 years. I knew it would be healthier. Despite what the video below would have you believe, my experience is that Pearson was good at giving lip service about being healthy - it participated in a walking program - but when push came to shove, they were at the very least sending an inconsistent message about wanting their employees to be happy. It really doesn't take much for me to be happy at work. I don't need a big office or a fancy title or even a reserved parking place. It's the little things, like being told, "No, you can't do what you know would be healthier for you" that irk me.

All that said, here's a video to watch:


From day one at where I work now, my desk has been a sit/stand desk. I don't stand as much as I could but I am (actually) standing now because of seeing the video above.

No comments: