Friday, March 16, 2018

Lucas' Vision

I imagine George Lucas gets frustrated when he tries to communicate his vision.


I took the following screen capture at the 3:12 mark because while I was listening to Lucas speak, I was hypnotized by the height of the stack of paper this guy is leaning on:


What IS that?!? How many unused ideas were captured within that stack of paper and, more importantly, how many OTHER stacks of paper that are that height exist within Lucas' possession?!? It's fascinating to think about the creative choices George Lucas made to create his Star Wars Universe and, if he had chosen something else instead of what he did - maybe, for example, "Han Solo" was named "Solo Han" or "Luke Skywalker" was named "Luke Starkiller" as (I think) originally named. The sheer number of creative choices Lucas made must be exhausting.

That's why I don't tend to give a lot of credibility to non-drummers who make statements like "Lars Ulrich is a shitty drummer" which is usually followed up by "[Their favorite drummer] kicks Lars' ass!" I smirk a bit because if James Hetfield would have fired Lars Ulrich in 1986 (as confirmed in Scott Ian's book and discussed in this article - http://loudwire.com/scott-ian-recalls-metallica-discuss-firing-lars-ulrich/ - all those years ago, what would Metallica sound like? The favorite 'what if' scenario regarding Metallica is "What if Cliff Burton would have survived and Kirk Hammett or James Hetfield or Lars Ulrich would have died in that tragic bus crash. I've seen the t-shirt that has Cliff Burton's picture on it with the phrase "Should Have Been Lars" above it. How mean!

Back to Star Wars, I know there is a lot of angst and anticipation about the next Star Wars movies - first, "Solo: A Star Wars Story" that is coming out in May, and second, Episode 9, which is due for release on December 20, 2019 - I learned that here - because of the initial praise and then criticism of "The Last Jedi" movie. One commentary video I saw stated that "The Empire Strikes Back" which is now considered by some to be the best movie initially was not received well, similar to the reaction to "The Last Jedi" from fans.


Sigh...

No comments: