Thursday, May 31, 2018

Gorgeous!!

I've now been not in a band for 1377 days (3 years, 9 months, 1 week, 1 day ). I question my Ideal Band doesn't exist. If I had found my Ideal Band, I might have been all over this set. I could envision creating the ever-elusive double-bass drum set that I have dreamed about since 1987, when I set up my own Ludwig Vistalites next to a 26" bass drum that Bill Biskup let me have at Kennedy. Originally, that drum had a gold-green-gold covering so I remember I spray painted it black. I also painted a 14" tom - man! that drum always sounded awesome! - and, somewhere, I have to think I still have the picture of me sitting behind it.

Without playing regularly in my Ideal Band, though, this set from the Craigslist > St. Louis > Musical Instruments page taunts me. I would never spend $1350 today (without having a regular gigging band) on this set of drums, even though it is nearly perfect.


I realize the text is kind of hard to read so here is what the ad says:

Ludwig Vistalite drums are known for their projection and striking appearance.
This 1974 vintage matched 5-piece set is in very good condition as it was played mostly at home, not subjected to the wear and tear of gigs.
Set includes: 5x14 snare, 14x22 bass, 8x12 and 9x13 rack toms, 16x16 floor tom.
Hardware includes: snare drum stand, double rack tom mount for bass drum, 2 Ludwig cymbal stands, Tama bass pedal, Rogers hi-hat and throne. Also including a Ludwig floor stand for rack toms, not original to the set but of matching vintage, which enables variable set-ups of the kit (see photos).
Cymbals are not included. Serious inquiries only please.


I don't like it when drum sellers show pictures of their drums with cymbals that are not for sale. I think it's a tease. Beyond that, these sizes are fantastic! I have always wanted an actual Vistalite snare and since I do not have a 5x14 snare, having a Vistalite would be a bonus. I have always wanted a 8x12 rack tom, though I would likely make this drum set be the bass drum by my left foot. That would mean I would likely never only have the 8x12 rack tom because it would create too much space between the 8x12 rack tom, which would be on my left, and my existing 13" rack tom, which would also be on the left side. I would not even mind having a 16x16 floor tom, even though it would be the third 16" floor tom I own. If only it was a 16x18 floor tom - how much awesomeness would that have been!!


The above shows how there could be a single mounted tom which, next to my existing drums, would be perfect.


I love the option of having the second tom not mounted to the bass drum.


And yet, there is the flexibility with it to have two mounted toms.


But, really, does it matter? The Craigslist > Iowa City > Community > Musicians page is without opportunity as is the Craigslist > Cedar Rapids > Community > Musicians page - no 'Drummer wanted for active band that gigs once a month with an awesome setlist' ads have appeared lately. In summary, I hope to look back at today and think, "Wow, May 31, 2018, was a low point that makes me appreciate how good things are, now that I found [Insert Ideal Band Name].

I will revisit this page on August 23, 2019, a Friday and the 5 year anniversary of when Uncle Rico the Band disbanded after our only gig at the Elk's Lodge in Iowa City. Perhaps things will change in the next 449 days (1 year, 2 months, 3 weeks, 2 days)...

No comments: