Thursday, May 17, 2018

The Scrub

I took Alex to The Yacht Club in downtown Iowa City a few years ago to see Gene Hoglan do a drum clinic. The way he comes across in the video below is how he came across when we watched him. What I remember the most about the clinic is how I left it inspired to practice more. I don't believe I will ever play as fast as Gene Hoglan, but from what he said at that clinic and what he says below, I know I don't have to play as fast as him. His message to me is to be the best drummer you can be.


  1.        8:03 - Gene's Warmups
  2.   15:12 - Ankle Weights
  3.   19:55 - Energy Conservation
  4.   25:55 - Why Two Rides?
  5.   30:18 - Tuning Drums
  6.   35:00 - Gene's Ambidexterity
  7.   41:00 - Gene's Influences
  8.   57:38 - Mental Exercises
  9. 1:01:13 - "My Name Is Murder" by Galaktikon

And since Gene Hoglan mentioned Dark Angel, I thought I'd listen to the first album that features him on the drums.



Oh my. In the first 1:30, I hear so many things that are amazing!

No comments: