Friday, May 25, 2018

Working from Home

When I read this article - Want to Work from Home and Improve Your Mental Health? Apple, Dell, and Walt Disney Are Now Hiring for These Remote Jobs Marcel Schwantes/May 24, 2018 - I read this text with a smirk.

Additionally, studies show that working remotely will save you between $4,668 to $5,688 per year.

Earlier this month, I reported on a FlexJobs study that showed how working remotely will save you money -- enough for that kitchen remodeling project or a couple vacations to a white sandy beach in the Caribbean.

How much? About $4,668 to $5,688 per year. For the average commuter, that includes around $686 saved per year in gas, and $767 saved per year in car maintenance.

I am a commuter, but certainly atypical. I drive no more than 6 minutes to arrive at work. I assure you that I will not spend $686 in gas so there's no way I can save $686 in gas. I also don't know where the figure for $767 saved in car maintenance comes from. I drive a 2007 Ford F-150 back and forth to work. I get an oil change every 3000ish miles, each with a cost of ~$30. I think I've gotten the oil changed twice in 2018 so I spent ~$60.

Sigh.

Just so it's documented, here's what I did today. I left the house at 5:50 AM, stopped at Hy-Vee Gas to get a Mountain Dew Live Wire and a Mountain Dew Pitch Black, chatted with Mark, my former neighbor, at Hy-Vee Gas for a couple of minutes and then parked my truck in the covered parking garage in the furthermost corner. After all of that, I was at my desk before 6 AM.

When I talked to Mark, my former neighbor, at Hy-Vee Gas, I joked about how we (Karen & I) are the final household to remain in the neighborhood out of the 4 households that purchased a (big) snowblower. I joked "We are the final survivor!" (referencing the TV show) to a chuckle from Mark. Ron & Margaret moved first, then Mark & Jenny, and now Jenny & Colleen put their house on the market and received an offer $2500-ish over their asking price the same day - the sign in their yard now says "Accepted Offer" for all to see.

Back to the supposed money being saved by working at home, I just don't see it as being relevant.

No comments: