Thursday, October 3, 2019

Where Do You Draw the Line on What Gigs You Take?

From the Christian Rock Drummers group on Facebook, which is a Public Group, there was this post:

Hey guys I need some perspective on something. I've struggled with this for years and I'm wondering what you guys think. My question is where do you guys draw the line on what gigs you take? I've had gig opportunities before and they are great gigs but the bands are sometimes involved in lifestyles that are not christlike [sic]: drugs, drinking, cussing, sex, toxic atmosphere. I don't want to be limited to only christian music but it's hard to know what's okay to say yes to and when to say no. I had a gig offer recently but the band cusses on stage, drinks, smokes, and overall doesn't have a positive environment. I ended up turning it down because I was convicted of it. What are you guys' thoughts? What are your convicitions [sic] and when do you guys decide to sacrifice a gig or playing with someone because of your faith? I sometimes have a hard time drawing a line in the sand and discerning between fear vs. conviction. Thanks

I wrote back this:

I played in a group with a former Catholic turned non-religious, a former Catholic turned Jewish turned non-religious and a Presbyterian. I am Catholic.
We didn't talk about religion and I loved the way we played.
The difference between my situation and yours is that my singer didn't curse when we played.
Take this with a grain of wheat. Who did Jesus hang out with? Answer: sinners. Maybe you are being called to be someone else's light...?
Another thought that I have is let he who is without sin cast the first stone. If you get along well with the musicians and you sound good, play with them!

The original person wrote this:

very good input. Yeah I feel called to be a light to the world in secular music but I just can't be in a band if they outright tempt me to sin

I wrote this:

I stopped drinking booze shortly before I joined that band. When we would take a break, the others would have a beer and I would have a Pepsi...

No comments: