Tuesday, October 4, 2022

DC is NP in this Video

I used to listen to Tool quite a bit but, over time, they haven't been in my regular rotation. Even though there was a long gap between their previous album and their latest album, I haven't listened to Fear Inoculum between when it was released in 2019 and today. I also didn't attend their concert in Des Moines https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/entertainment/2019/05/13/tool-new-music-album-concert-des-moines-wells-fargo-arena-tickets-descending-invincible-all-souls-ia/1192663001/. In that article, it's pointed out "Tool previously played in Des Moines in 1993 as part of a Lollapalooza tour that stopped at the Iowa State Fairgrounds. They returned to central Iowa in 2002 for a show at Hilton Coliseum in Ames" and I think I remember that they played in Cedar Rapids with a rapper as the opening act - I didn't go to that concert so I can't say for certain.

I thought about Tool as I watched Danny Carey join Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson on stage on September 27, 2022, as part of a Taylor Hawkins tribute concert. Hawkins was a fan of the band and, as I understand it, he met and became friends with Lee and Lifeson. I'm unsure how Carey was selected to be in Neil Peart's role and I don't bemoan the choice. He is a powerhouse drummer and plays all sorts of polyrhythms that I will never be able to play on the drums. I attempted to play "46+2" in 2000 with Ralph, Steve, and Jon (Free Beer) and I failed miserably.

I enjoyed watching Danny Carey play "YYZ" and I think he did a great job.


https://youtu.be/ C4mPNuAaB34 - Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson with Danny Carey w/HQ Audio - YYZ (Rush) - 2022-09-27

RIP Taylor Hawkins

RIP Neil Peart

No comments: