Thursday, October 6, 2022

Getting Ready for SP to be unleashed

I saw Steel Panther for the first time at Chicago Open Air in 2017. I was entertained. They are releasing a new album in February 2023 so Michael Starr, their vocalist, is doing press. Before getting to the podcast quote, a question came up in my brain that I'd like to know the answer to, but I don't know where to look. I know the answer is online, somewhere, but what site to read? No clue. So here's the question:

Why does it take so long to have an album come out in 2022? 

Back in the old days when on an album's release day, you could purchase a cassette tape or a vinyl or a CD version of the album. Certainly, I understand that when there were those 3 different formats (cassette tapes, vinyl, and CDs) to produce, there had to be a "cut" of the album several months prior to the release date to allow the "production" of those cassette tapes, vinyl, and CDs to be completed. 

For example, in August 1991, when I went to Musicland in the mall in Davenport and bought Metallica's Black album, there was a choice. Do I want a cassette tape, a vinyl record, or a CD? I could choose what format I wanted. Fast forward to 10-6-2022 and I ask myself, how many cassette tapes, vinyl, and CDs are produced when an album is released? 

Think about this as well. The new Steel Panther single - title below - is being released today and the release of the album on 2-24-2023, meaning there are 141 days (4 months, 2 weeks, 4 days) between 1st single and album release. Why?  

I'm genuinely curious what has to be done that causes a delay like this? It's not like Musicland or my local Best Buy or Target or Wal-Mart stores routinely stock new CDs anymore... or do they? I haven't thought about going to any of those stores - especially since Musicland closed decades ago - as a source for new music releases for a very long time. I wrote about buying Metallica's St. Anger release in 2003 in my dailyvault.com review:


I went to Wal-Mart on Wednesday, June 4, 2003, and bought this CD. Happy as a clam, I was about halfway home when I noticed a little sticker that said "Edited."

Metallica "censored"? Not in my house. I turned around, returned to Wal-Mart and got my money back. I told the clerk at Wal-Mart, "I was driving home and noticed the "edited" sticker." He replied, "I never buy CDs here. They're all edited." I then went to the Best Buy store across the street and paid less money for this same release ($9.99) with all the cursing included. I told the cashier about the "edited" version and he replied, "I always buy my CDs here." That surprises me. . .. not.


So I don't know the answer to my question. Perhaps a future post will reveal an answer.

Anyways, during a podcast, as reported on Blabbermouth.net, he said this:


California glam metal jokesters STEEL PANTHER will release their sixth album, "On The Prowl", on February 24, 2023. The official music video for the LP's first single, "Never Too Late (To Get Some Pussy Tonight)", will make its online debut tomorrow (Thursday, October 6) at 7:00 a.m. PDT / 10:00 a.m. EDT.

Late last month, STEEL PANTHER singer Michael Starr spoke to the "Everblack" podcast about his relationship with the band's original bassist Lexxi Foxx who left the band in July 2021. "I just talked to him today," Michael said. "He's doing good, man. He did exactly what he wanted to do. He started a family. He's living in Chicago. Him and his wife just had a baby. So Lexxi Foxx is not gay. I thought he was gay this whole time. It's so weird."


I think Starr does a great job of not breaking character.

No comments: