Thursday, February 12, 2009

Neighborhood Gossip & Knitting

My neighbors and I were outside the other night and the subject of attendance at Carver-Hawkeye Arena came up regarding the men's team. My neighbor told me that when he was listening to a men's basketball game the other night, the radio announcer noted that women brought knitting to the games and were doing so while watching the game.

Not during 1/2 time or during timeouts - knitting during the entire game.

Tickets for the game that night was ~$22 for a ticket, plus $5 for parking, and usually, $9 for concessions if you get a hot dog and Coke.

Someone paid ~$40 to go to the arena and knit.

Granted, with our disgraceful display last night v. WI, fine. I wouldn't have wanted to see it all either.

However, that's not the way I attend games. We stay until the end - and stood through the women's 3 OT victory over PSU. When I took my 10 year-old son to a men's game against MSU, we were down 12 with ~2:00 left. People starting leaving. Isn't the game of college basketball 40 minutes long? My son made me proud when he started saying, very loudly, "Where are you going? The game's not over?!?"

Some have said that people leave early to get ahead of the traffic, which can be bad due to the area's layout. However, we stayed until the end of the game and wow - traffic went very swiftly. I guess I shouldn't complain about people leaving early.

No comments: