Thursday, February 4, 2016

Roller Coaster

I applied for a couple of openings yesterday, one in particular worth mentioning. It was for a Senior Project Manager within the Technical Publications department at a company in Cedar Rapids. I submitted my credentials. Within 1 hour, I received a machine-generated reject letter.

Backing up to Monday, a Facebook friend of mine works at that company and it was his birthday so I sent birthday wishes and a brief note that I had been laid off last week and if he heard of any technical writer opportunities to please keep me in mind.

Back to last night, this friend called me and said that he had received my note on Facebook. He went on to say that he had a friend that worked in Tech Pubs and that friend had said that he thought there were open tech writer positions and promised to send my friend the requisition numbers to pass on to me. My hopes rose very high, very quickly. My friend and I had talked to each other in a while and it was a nice 20 minute phone conversation.

After I hung up, about 10 minutes later, my friend emailed me. His friend had found out that the tech writer positions had all been filled. My friend apologized for getting my hopes up and went on to say that he would keep me in mind if he hears of anything open.

So that was my excitement in the job search world last night.

No comments: