Monday, November 13, 2017

Reddit Site Redesign

I cannot recall when I've ever had my Internet browser open to Reddit so if I did, it was not long enough to make an impression. I say that because I have no skin in the game if Reddit's CEO - Steve Huffman - wants to redesign their website. As the article points out - https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/09/reddit-ceo-huffman-on-the-sites-redesign-coming-in-q1-2018/ - there hasn't really been a site redesign for some time. I don't know how often a website should be redesigned so, thanks to Google, I found this article - How Often Should You Redo Your Website? by Joanie Ferguson, January 4, 2017 - which was inconclusive, essentially saying, "It depends." From the article:

The question ‘how often should I redo my website,’ yields some questionable results on Google’s results page. Article after article told me I should redesign my website every 2-3 years to keep customers happy and engaged.

Asking when to redo your site is like asking how often you should call your mom. Well, how often do you call her now? Is she happy with the amount you call her? Are you happy with it? In what ways could you both benefit from talking more or less? The answer completely depends on your situation and can’t be answered reasonably without much more information from you.

I hope their website redesign is successful.

As for me and the work I've done on a daily basis for the past 20+ years as a technical writer, I don't recall more than a handful of times when I've redesigned my work. I'll ponder that thought another time.

No comments: