Wednesday, November 15, 2017

It's Been a LONG Time

I like to look back at the past. I like to look at a post like this one - http://prhmusic.blogspot.com/2008/11/back-in-groove.html - and recapture the frame of mind I was in when I wrote it. I like this specific part of the post in item #3:

...At work, we order CD-Rs in 100 packs for distribution of our releases to our clients. We use white envelopes - instead of jewel cases - and end up with empty 100 pack spindles. My (cool) manager has said that I could use those spindles if I had a use for them. Right now, there are 4 spindles. I could take 400 CDs from my rack and put them on the spindles. Then I would have more room. The only things to consider are that
  • I need someplace to put the cases and inlays for the CDs I put on the spindle
  • I need some way to not forget what CD is on what spindle
I can fix issue 2 with an up-to-date CD list. I don't know how I can store the inlays and CD booklets where I can know where they are. In essence, I already have this type of scenario with the existing CD-Rs I already have on spindles. The only difference to overcome is what to do with the booklets, etc. I can find a plastic Rubbermaid to put that stuff in, I guess, and use some sort of filing system to keep things organized.

I'm here to say that after 3294 days (9 years and 1 week), I don't have this figured out. I have 5000 CDs now - so that's awesome! - on 50 x 100 count spindles, but I still do not have an organization structure for the inlays and CD booklets. I have some sorted into file folders, but I'm not anywhere close to being complete. Maybe by the 10 year anniversary of the post, I will have it figured out. I can say I have completely abandoned Excel as a tool to store my CD information. I use Windows Media Player exclusively.

No comments: