Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Luck

The man finds a lucky penny in the first panel and marries a woman in the last panel. The gist is that because the man picked up the lucky penny, he met his wife.
What if the man hadn't picked up the penny? Would the comic end with his wedding? Luck was on my side in a similar vein way back in September of 1988. Luck introduced me to Karen. Going back to that day, it was luck that I was on the Mount Mercy College bus trip to see the Minnesota Twins play the Chicago White Sox. I had agreed to go with Nieman, my friend, who was a Chicago White Sox fan. The 'what if' game is a rabbit hole I'll dip my toe in for 5 thoughts:
  1. what if Nieman wouldn't have wanted to go on that bus trip?
  2. what if Nieman and I had never met?
  3. what if Nieman had never asked me to go?
  4. what if Nieman had been a - gasp - Chicago Cubs fan with no interest in the Chicago White Sox?
  5. what if my manager at work - the Spring House restaurant - had not given me the day off?
Thus, I think this comic is relevant to me on a deep level.

No comments: