Thursday, April 19, 2018

Count the Number of Sentences

I was on a quest recently to make my Knowledge Management project as automated as possible. The bottom line is I wanted to use the macro to create snippets that I could add to the HTML pages, which I edit with Dreamweaver, in a "proof of concept" RoboHelp project. This macro serves a specific purpose, but could also be applied to other situations.

For me, specifically, in the working version of our Knowledge Management process, there is a step called "Apply Style Guide" which will be performed by a Technical Writer (at this point, me!) to standardize the language that the Knowledge Repository uses in each Knowledge Article to tell the reader how to perform a task. I don't want to have Knowledge Article A tell the user to "modify the contents" and Knowledge Article B tell the user to "change the contents" - both in the context of a numbered procedure. I'm all for using words that are applicable to a given Knowledge Article so if there is a difference between "modify" and "change" in the context of a specific Knowledge Article, I want to have that documented. The style guide should explain when to use "modify" and when to use "change" so it isn't "my preference" over another person's preference.

To do all of that, I need to be able to quickly analyze text and determine if there are duplicate sentences so that I can process the text for inclusion in the Knowledge Repository. An analysis of my needs and the solution exist on the Single Source Rant page in this section Tool to Analyze Text for Possible Snippets

Editor's Note: Kudos for not duplicating content on the Single Source Rant page here! Creating this post as a way to include labels is a good idea.

No comments: