Thursday, October 11, 2018

Scary & Dinner

No, not "Boo!" scary, but scary as in "I really need to get a new EHD to offload data from the G: EHD" scary.
I'm in the process of moving 35,925 items (6.80 GB) from the c:\rh-backup folder to a network drive to increase the free space on the C: drive, so that's good. I had actually thought about swinging through Staples last night in SW Cedar Rapids when I was in Cedar Rapids to have dinner with BSS, a friend I've known for 20 years - we worked together at Quintrex and if I had never left Quintrex, my 20 year anniversary would have been on October 1, 2018 - since we were meeting at Buffalo Wild Wings. The Staples store is not more than a 1/2 mile from the restaurant. When I arrived at the restaurant earlier than expected, though, I chose to just be early and not risk being late by running down to Staples and buying a new EHD. I also thought about how I could stop at Wal-Mart on the way back home since I knew I was going to drive past it, but then, I didn't.

Since I mentioned dinner with BSS, I must say it was excellent. I had not seen him physically since February of 2016, when we had met for lunch at the Burger King down the road from where Quintrex used to be located - he looked good. We talked about our lives, which naturally included our kids, our recent experiences of helping loved ones with cancer, our jobs, our political views (which we found out are fairly aligned with each other), our faith lives, and our general outlook on life. We met at 5 and I didn't leave the restaurant until shortly before 8 and, even then, I think we could have sat and talked until midnight. It was the kind of conversation that you leave with a new sense of energy about life and a "I'm not alone on this journey through all the things going on in life" feeling - a lot of what BSS said were things I might have said first, if prompted. I shared a lot of thoughts with him that I've wrote about in my private journal, which I think reveals the depth of our conversation.

No comments: