Friday, November 16, 2018

Classifying Beliefs of Many by One Trait

Classifying people as being 'this' or being 'that' based upon a single trait is dangerous and inaccurate. I just read these articles today, which alarm me:
  1. 61% of Democrats Thinks the GOP is Racist  
  2. Fans react as former One Direction star Zayn Malik says he no longer considers himself Muslim: 'So disappointed'.

I'll address what I think about "racist" and "GOP" being associated with each other first and then dip a little into stereotypes about musicians.

To me, if I say that "All [pick a nationality] are [pick a trait]," I'm making a judgment about a group of people based upon a single trait.

I think some racists are members of the GOP, but I do not believe that ALL members of the GOP are racists. I think judgments like that are dangerous.

My beliefs tend to align, politically, with the GOP on multiple issues, but I take pride that I can often see the counter argument to my beliefs in ways that surprise me sometimes. For example, I believe that America is a great country and that because of our greatness, we should not allow anyone to go to bed naked or hungry. We should be able to figure out how to help people who need help. There's a phrase that's been thrown around when discussing this - 'a hand up, not a hand out' - and that's where I sit.

At the same time, I strongly believe that abortion is murder. I marvel at how some can claim that a pregnant woman can choose to end their pregnancy and not be charged with murder. If a pregnant woman is murdered or in a car accident, I'm pretty sure I've seen there be double homicide charges brought against the accused. Why a double homicide if a woman can 'choose' to end her pregnancy? I'm a simpleton, really, when it comes to this. Does it really matter if a pregnancy is ended due to "fatally shooting a pregnant woman" or an abortion if "the pregnancy is ended" becomes the end result? Both acts result in a dead baby.

I also strongly believe that if I want to own a gun, I should be able to own a gun. I don't believe that one gun is 'more dangerous' over another - I just don't accept that logic. I think if a bullet pierces your aorta, then you have a problem, whether it was fired from a gun that has the ability to fire multiple bullets in one squeeze of the trigger or not. I think that if a gun is purchased legally, it does not mean that person is NEVER going to kill someone. I think it comes down to choice we, as humans, make. It's God's precious gift to me. If I own a gun, I have a choice to not shoot someone or to shoot someone. I don't own a gun. I make a choice. Thus, all legal gun owners are not murderers. There seems to be a belief that if you own a gun, you are not able to use it or to care for it properly. A sweeping generalization about gun owners has parallels to a sweeping generalization about members of the GOP being racists.

Then, there's fans of heavy metal music, like me. Over the years since becoming a fan of heavy metal music, I've heard statements like "All heavy metal drummers have no musical talent" or "All heavy metal fans worship Satan" - both are untrue. I never dispute that there are some heavy metal drummers have less musical talent than other drummers in other genres and I believe that some heavy metal fans worship Satan, but I do not believe ALL heavy metal fans do those two things. For example, I do not worship Satan - I am Catholic.

This just occurred to me. Tool's drummer, Danny Carey, is an amazing drummer, but he has different religious beliefs than I do, per Wikipedia. That does not make me judge his drumming in a negative light, though I recall reading an article, possibly, it could have been Modern Drummer magazine but it could just as easily have not been Modern Drummer magazine with feedback about the article including comments from readers saying that because of his beliefs, those readers with different views will no longer support Carey or his music. It's not just heavy music. I saw an example of some fans vacating support for a musician due to their spirituality. I am not grouping Tool with One Direction in the same group other than pointing out that after a musician stated that he no longer considers himself Muslim, fans are disappointed. Read the full article below.

My point to all of this?

As a society, we are stronger when we are united. If 61% of Democrats authentically believe that GOP is racist, that's not good.

No comments: