Thursday, November 29, 2018

Clear

Recently, the Supreme Court heard arguments - this link will open a PDF located here: https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/2018/17-204_2b82.pdf in Apple Inc. v. Pepper.

I read this article - Nobody Made You Buy an iPhone - about a case before the Supreme Court and was struck by the following text, which I sincerely hope is a fair analogy of the case before the Supreme Court, the key word being "hope" since I have no ambition to read the court documents myself:

Imagine the following scenario:
Car Manufacturer A uses only Airbag X
Car Manufacturer B uses only Airbag Y
Airbag Y can be bought for cheap at the Airbag Store
The consumer wants Car A with Airbag Y. Car Manufacturer A says, “we don’t make cars with Airbag Y.” Consumer sues A, claiming that they have created a monopoly by removing airbag choice from consumers.
That is how stupidly litigious our society has become. We assert fake rights to choose. If you want Car A, you get everything that comes with it. If you don’t like it, buy something else. No one is putting a gun to your head saying you must buy Car A.

The linked PDF above was created with Bullzip PDF Printer software, which I'd never heard of until today:
That I had never heard of the software until today is not interesting, but what is interesting is that it is from an official US Government website and the PDF was created with the Freeware edition. when the Commercial version is a mere $69, per their website: http://www.bullzip.com/download.php

While I was there, I looked at their Knowledge Base, which is located here - http://www.bullzip.com/kb/ - hoping to see something I can adapt into the Knowledge Management project at work as well as just because my role as a technical writer for the last 23 years, 9 months, 2 weeks, 5 days (8693 days) has made me constantly curious about how  companies handle documentation. As is the case many times when I look at websites, I did not see anything I would want to adapt into the Knowledge Management project at work...

No comments: