Friday, November 16, 2018

Hate the Word "Hit" as UI Text

Many years ago, at Quintrex, I worked with Dean Bathke. We both did work with developing a Windows overlay green screens and, at some time during the time we worked together, Dean said that you "hit the Enter button" to do a search. Maybe it wasn't even the "Enter" button - it could have been "Hit the Add button" to add a widget. It really doesn't matter. Being the snobby wordsmith that I am, I protested and said, "You don't "hit" a button - you press it, you select it, you click it." It's been well over 15 years since I worked with Dean - I cannot say for certain when he left Quintrex - but throughout the time from when we stopped working together and today, whenever I see the word "hit" used in user interface (UI) text as instructing the user to perform an action, as shown below, I think about Dean Bathke and the work we did together, all those years ago, at Quintrex.



No comments: