Monday, November 26, 2018

Read My Mind!

While I agree with the solution Oliver Kauk makes in the second paragraph, I couldn't help but chuckle when I read the first paragraph. My 20+ years of working as a technical writer has taught me that a tool does not "know" that you've entered data by typing into a field until you somehow 'submit' or 'commit' that data to the software's database or storage mechanism. Prior to that, unless there's some code that is tracking how many keystrokes you have made - which is different from when you enter text in a field that has a limit on the number of characters (like if you are writing a tweet using Twitter), my understanding is that there is no way for the software to know if you have accessed a window within the software and entered 1 or 4000 characters.In Oliver's case, he has entered data in a field and pressed the Escape key without committing that data to the Cherwell database.


To be crystal clear, I do agree that you should get a warning message that you have unsaved changes. For example, within Blogger, I clicked the Close button and saw this warning:


I think a similar message would easily resolve what Oliver has raised as an issue.


No comments: