Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Clean Slice through Exceptions to the Rule

I really REALLY like the way this information from youtube.com explains their policy. As I read it, I found the words to be engaging, without demanding extensive deciphering of intent and the graphics pleasing to the eyes. I sincerely believe that if all documentation, whether the intended audience is a customer or a fellow co-worker, had always conveyed the intended message in a manner like the text below, there would not be a "no one reads the documentation" mentality surrounding my profession as a technical writer. In a short 341 days (11 months, 4 days) , I will reach the milestone of working as a professional technical writer for 25 years. I hope that the documentation I have been involved in during the past 8790 days (24 years, 3 weeks, 3 days) can be judged to be helpful to the audience. Then again, why would anyone want to write confusing documentation?

WHAT’S NEW
Making it easier to play by the rules.
We heard you, so we simplified the Strikes system to focus on consistent enforcement, clear policies, and more transparency. We’ve also added a new one time warning so you can take time to learn about the new system and keep creating without interruption. Talk about a win-win. Watch the video here.
Making it easy to play by the rules

Editor's Note: My oh my... slipping, eh? The words and the graphics are nice, but look harder. The person in the icon within the title bar of each graphic is a non-baseball umpire while the phrases "Strike 1", "Strike 2", and "Strike 3" are clearly associated with baseball. Without stereotyping too much, I wonder if the Graphic Design major who created the images and graphics knows that there are no strikes in any sport except baseball.

No comments: