Sunday, December 22, 2013

Change in Status

This is to document that on Saturday, December 21, 2013, I accepted a change in my relationship with Dailyvault.com. Jason, the editor, emailed me and in a very nice way, pointed out that I had contributed 3 CD reviews in 2013. That doesn't include the concert reviews I wrote but the gist is the same - my productivity was shit. I have excuses and reasons, both, for my lack of volume and only one word to describe it: disappointing. The year has been a series of broken promises that I made to Jason, the latest being that I was going to write reviews of the new Dream Theater DVD, the self-titled Dream Theater CD, and the two Five Finger Death Punch CDs and have them to him by the end of the week of December 20th. Here it is, Sunday, December 22, and I have an intro paragraph done for the self-titled Dream Theater CD.

Here's a new word: pathetic.

So, with all of the evidence mounted against me, I accepted the role of "Contributing Writer" whereby I am not held up to the same requirement standards of submitting reviews as often as expected. The writer guidelines are clear and it's also clear I did not meet them.

I wouldn't feel bad about this turn of events if DV was a site that I had just started writing for in recent years, but that is not the case. I began writing for DV when I desperately needed to write music reviews. It was after ICON, a local newspaper in Iowa City, had an editor who, frankly,. He  didn't like my writing. During his tenure, the only CD review that was published was one while he was on a brief sabbatical when he was having knee surgery. That review of Sammy Hagar's "Marching to Mars" was also the first review that DV published: http://dailyvault.com/toc.php5?review=261

Damn, I still like that review.

Anyways, I am hopeful that shifting to CW will be the kick in the ass I need to resume writing music reviews.

No comments: