Friday, December 20, 2013

Duck Dynasty

I support Phil Robertson. I don't think the show can exist if he is not on it.

I've watched the series for several years I routinely watch the show on Wednesday nights and record it on the DVR if I'm not home.

I think the show is hilarious and cite these as my favorite moments:
==> the episode where Uncle Si states that "fried shrimp" come from the ocean.
==> the episode where Godwin gets his hot tub set up in his front yard
==> the episode where Jase brings a dead beaver to Willie's kitchen sink.
==> the episode where the lizard gets out of its cage in the warehouse
==> the episode where Willie and Si ride along in the police car and pull over Willie's sister-in-law
==> the episode where Miss Kay invites herself along on her grandkids' bowling excursion
==> every episode ending with the family praying before they eat.

I don't know how the show exists without Phil Robertson.


I wrote all of the above as background for what I think about the explosion of controversy that has rocked our country the last couple of days. First, just to be clear, this is what Phil said, in part:

[Sin]’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical

When this came out, the GLAAD organization released this statement, but I'll quote one part:

Phil’s lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe. 

Who is the GLAAD organization to presume that they know what "true Christians" believe?
 
For my own reference, here is a link to the interview that sparked this controversy: http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson?currentPage=1&printable=true

No comments: