Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pause? Nah, I Don't Know what the Hell that Means

Thankfully, or perhaps not, this week has flown by. I had an awesome 1:1 with my manager today. It was fun to realize that our meeting naturally was extended from 30 minutes to 60 minutes because we were having a really good conversation. On top of that, when I got out of my meeting, I was assigned to help Alan, a co-worker, get a document ready for distribution. There were 1181 instances of "Normal" style in that Word document when I started working on it and when I handed it off back to Alan today at 3:15, there were none. No bold characters because of pressing Ctrl+B. No italic characters because of pressing Ctrl+I. No underlined characters because of pressing Ctrl+U.

Then, on top of all of that, I finalized another document for a different client and got that off my desk.

I felt productive.

Until I realized that the document I had started to work on first thing was still not done. Then I felt like the hours in the day went pass me too damn quick.

After work, Karen and I went to Best Buy to exchange her Samsung tablet for an iPad. She didn't like the apps that came with the tablet, even though it's the same OS as her Samsung phone. She is now wading through setting it up. Unfortunately for Karen, I know nothing about iPads. I mean, NOTHING. I cannot be her technical support, even though I was roped into being her TS because she needed the incoming and outgoing mail server names. I called our ISP to get that information.

Anyways, the big story around here is that there's a winter storm coming and when it's going to arrive is a guessing game. We are going to Alex's game at Cedar Rapids Xavier tomorrow and it starts at 4:00. That means I'm actually picking up Karen a little before 3:00 so we can make it up to his game. 

Outside of a great week at work, I didn't spend time on the conversion other than Monday night. I am trying to get my 2nd spindle of 100 CDs ripped prior to Monday AM. I know that next week, with Christmas, will be interesting to see if I can get it done.

One final note is that currently, there is no scheduled rehearsal for LCR. I know that life is busy for all of us and I totally get that. I am as busy as Matthew, who is dealing with some issues and as busy as Joe, who is dealing with a search for a new job. I haven't really talked to Brian lately but I would guess that he is busy as well. When we find the time to play together, I think we sound good. I think if we were to get a gig in early 2014, it would be beneficial to us as right now, we do not have a 'next gig' scheduled, unless you count being asked to play the Courage Ride in August 2014. I definitely think we need to gig somewhere prior to that! I am hoping something materializes sooner than later. I miss playing with Joe, Matthew, and Brian. I miss the opportunity to play songs I like. I miss playing:
  1. "Switching to Glide" and 
  2. "Saturday Night" and 
  3. "Gimme 3 Steps" and 
  4. "What I Like About You" and 
  5. "Big River" and 
  6. "Stuck in the Middle" and 
  7. "Rocking in the Free World" and 
  8. "Paranoid" and 
  9. "Rock and Roll All Night" and 
  10. "Lonely Boy"
I think those are the top 10 songs of the ones listed on the LCR Master List page that I want to play at our next rehearsal. I don't think that our next rehearsal will be in 2013, unfortunately. I am hopeful for early January 2014.

It was also announced today that Bayside is touring in the spring of 2014 but, thus far, they are not playing in Iowa. They are playing in Milwaukee, Chicago, and St. Louis, but not stopping in Iowa City or Des Moines. That's too bad although they are playing in Chicago on a Saturday (!!) so I can at least pretend that it is possible that I will go to Chicago to see them play.

No comments: