Sunday, December 1, 2013

To Begin Again

After a short break, I'm sitting in the den with a CD ripping. For the sake of documentation, I re-converted my first CD at 8:15 AM on 12/1/2013 and it was Alev's "We Live in Paradise." I am going to add a tag "Conversion Projects - Redo" in addition to the existing "Conversion Projects" tag so I can separate the two conversion efforts.

I am also going to keep track of my file count for the redo and what percentage I have redone compared to where I was when the 1 TB hard drive failed, which was 64603 File(s) 541,778,588,259 bytes. For the sake of clarity, I'm going to say my previous conversion was at 64600 (minus 3 files) just so it is an even number. I'm pretty sure I had at least 3 duplicate files when it died.

In the meantime, I'm working on a list of all the directories I had so I can create a separate page on this blog and track when I reconverted the CD. I have an issue that I had a lot of folders / albums that were not physical CDs - they were downloaded from youtube.com, they were downloaded from publicists, they were borrowed from friends / family / neighbors and ripped, and I'm sure a lot of other ways that I can't think of right now. Thus, when I am 100% complete with the process of ripping every CD I own, the numbers between what I had and what I have will probably be somewhat close (because of the 480 CDs from Mitch in Indy), but it will not have my entire collection. It's not a 1:1 anymore.

I hope that this all makes sense when I am rereading it in the future. I will say that if my 1 TB hard drive ever comes back from the dead and I can retrieve my files, I can't honestly say that any hours I put into reconverting will be wasted hours.

It's 9:31 and I told Megan I would go with her to 11 AM Mass at 10 so that she could sing. Karen's in the shower but I need to slip in and be done prior to 10 AM. I don't know if I will play drums at Mass - it'd be okay to do so, but I need to be ready.

No comments: