Thursday, September 11, 2014

Clean Me Up

I feel like I'm entering the home stretch with the CD reconversion. When I just ran my DOS batch file, I got 66003 File(s) as a result. My status has been ever changing over the last few weeks. Off the top of my head, this is what remains:
  1. ~100 CDs that I *think* I converted, but since I'm not sure, I'm auditing them.
  2. ~100 CDs that I *think* must all have the song and artist information added manually.
  3. ~100 CDs that are either custom made mix CDs or Life CDs, which I have written about previously on this blog.
I *think* that's it. 300 CDs to go and so far, for the CDs in #1 above, I have been making good progress. I didn't work on the audit last night, but plan to do so tonight. I admit freely that I'm not looking forward to doing the CDs in #2 or #3 as they are going to take more time per CD. For the CDs in #2, usually, a CD is ripped in no more than 5 minutes, but if I am going to be manually typing song names and artist information, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned into an average of 10 minutes a CD. For the CDs in #3, these are all CDs that have songs that exist "somewhere" in my CDs, but because the CDs were created the way in which I did, the information is not included when I rip the CD. I get "Unknown Artist" on an "Unknown Album" (essentially). That results in at least listening to enough of the song until I recognize it. Sometimes, I don't remember the artist for the song. Sometimes I can see the album cover or recognize the voice or the drums or the riff, but can't immediately state, "That is Hypnos' "I Am the Wind" (which is a song I recognized.) These CDs rely upon my memory and since the CDs were created nearly 6 years ago (the latest Life CD I have seen is from 2008), it's not always easy to remember those details. All of this leads me to the realization that there are 80 days until my self-imposed deadline of December 1, 2014. Honestly, as I look at the calendar, there's a limited number of hours to which I can devote to this project. It'll be interesting.

No comments: