Thursday, January 15, 2015

2020 is Not that Far Away

Our home laptop has Windows 7 installed and my work laptop has Windows 7 installed. This article points out that Windows 7 has reached a milestone: the end of mainstream support. The end of extended support date is January 14, 2020. That made me pause for a moment. I will have just turned 50 in December 2019. My intent is that I will be heading towards my 9 year anniversary at my employer (8 years, 7 months, 2 weeks on that date).
Other thoughts:
  • I may even have my 1000 cassettes converted to MP3 by that time.
  • I would certainly hope that Metallica would have released their follow-up to Death Magnetic and that on the tour to support that release, they play in the area and I see them in concert.
  • Alex will be 21 and, according to the current thinking, be a junior in college
  • Megan will be 23 and, according to the current thinking, be a recent college graduate.
  • The 2020 election season should be nearly kicked off as the president elected after President Obama's 2 terms will probably be running for re-election against a candidate from the other political party. I don't see a third party being able to rise high enough to have enough clout to challenge either the Republicans or Democrats.
But here's the real thing to think about. Windows 7 will be considered very old technology. Will I remember these current days of working with Windows 7 on a daily basis?

No comments: